Bedford County Library History
In 1943, school officials conducted a survey of Bedford County. They found that of the 8679 pupils attending public schools, 900 did not have access to any kind of library. In other words, about 10% of the school population was entirely missing the wealth which is within the printed volume.
As a result, the Bedford County Library was established, with Miss Margaret Aaron as librarian, and with the county and the state sharing in the costs of the program. This was the 20th county in Pennsylvania to establish a county-wide library service, and the program had grown by leaps and bounds since it’s establishment in 1944.
The Current Staff
Matt Godissart – library director
Becky Claar – assistant director/children’s librarian
Jennifer Elyard – cataloger
Chris Diehl – circulation clerk/delivery driver